ANST - Documentation

Nathan W. Jones njones at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 15 11:59:32 PST 1999

Greetings Friends!

Franchesca wrote:
>At our 20th year celebration there will be a competition in which the
>laurels are asked to compete. The populace is to judge them. Take this
>very valuable moment to look at what they use as a reference for
>documentation. It is better to know what you are going up against before
>you go there. Understanding where they are coming from is priceless.

You make an excellent point here!

I think one of the problems that we have with documentation
is that here are so few role models for documentation in this
kingdom.  It it one thing to have a class about the subject
every once in a while, it would be another thing if we had
our Laurels competing or displaying at every event, giving
us a chance to check out the excellent documentation they
they (of course) would have.  We would have scads and scads
of opportunity to check out good sources of documentation.

Which brings us to another topic entirely:  Should Laurels
compete?  I say yes.  As someone who does the Bardic Arts,
I compete against Laurels at almost every competition.  That
doesn't mean they always win.  But, it gives us a more
realistic idea of the state of the art by having them there.
I think the same could happen with the static arts.  (maybe,
kinda sorta, Okay, they can be apples and oranges, but it's
still an interesting topic.)

I would echo Ches' recommendation and strongly encourage
the populace of this Kingdom to take advantage of the rare
opportunity to see the Laurel's display their arts at
20th Anniversary.

And, back to the issue of documentation, I would encourage
people to read the documentation of other entrants at
the competitions that they enter.  Learn for yourself what
makes good clear concise documentation, and what is just
muddy and confusing, or nonexistant.  Imagine for a moment
that you are having to judge the piece.  How then would
you feel about the documentation?

Gio
Northkeep
Ansteorra