ANST - Documentation -- A Viewpoint from a West Kingdom Laurel

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon Feb 15 16:57:45 PST 1999

In the interests of sharing with the general populace some information baout how documentation is regarded across the Known Worlde, I have sought out permission to repost the contents
of several collected messages on this topic ehich originated on the SCA Laurel List, the SCA Arts List, and through private correspondence.  I have been collecting this information for
use in creating a formal Ansteorran Documentation Standard that hopefully will be useful to our artisans as a "blueprint" for how to write documentation without having to commit
hari-kari due to "documentation fear".

Here is the first piece of this information, graciously provided by Mistress Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn, OL, OP, Ct. Baroness, etc., of the Kingdom of the West, and a noted
contributor to the College of Heralds for her expertise in Welsh Studies.

---------------------------

Tri geir wrth dogfeniad:
 - Mynag a wnaethant
 - Mynag a wnaethost
 - Eglura'r gwahaniaeth
Ac un geir sy'n uchaf: ymchwil, nid dogfeniad.

i.e.,
"Three sayings concerning documentation:
 - Tell what they did
 - Tell what you did
 - Clarify the difference
And one saying is chiefmost: research, not documentation."

I. Research, not Documentation

  I.e., if you are only now trying to put together "documentation" for
some artifact you already have, you have a much more difficult, and
possibly impossible, task. If you did research (and kept notes) before
coming up with the artifact, you have a very easy task. Why set yourself
up to do unnecessary work?

II. The Tripod of Documentation
  A. Tell me what _they_ did.
  B. Tell me what _you_ did.
  C. Point out and explain the differences.

III. Leave a Trail

  I.e., give me enough information that I could double-check your
information, if I so desired. And give me enough information that I could
precisely re-construct your artifact, if I so desired.