ANST - more art, less judgement ... was: documentation

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Tue Feb 16 10:16:35 PST 1999

On 16 Feb 99, at 7:33, Russell Husted wrote:

> .... a newby cannot truely partisipate in A&S.
>
> I am new to card weaving. My wife took a class on it. I got a five
> minute explanation from her on how it was done, And now I am weaving my
> head off. I am trying all sorts of things and having fun! I,

in other words, you are learning a new area that excites and draws you into it.
sounds like the standard definition fof art to me.  always remember that art
always comes from *within*, and for every person that is a different path.

in too many cases i've seen talented people sucked into the "apprentice"
pathways where their skills and visions are directed and refined to become a
reflection of their "master" ... my recommendation, as long as you are having
fun keep it up, don't let anyone else ever take that fun away - in anything.

> ... did not know what the best books to look in were. Which ones
> were acceptable and gave period information.

the concept of "acceptable" books is a very slippery slope ... would not it be
better to read *everything* you can find and make those judgements for
yourself?  who is the art that you are practicing ultimately for, yourself or
some other expert / judge?

> ... I do not have these book, and you can bet, I will do my best to get my
> hands on them now. But prier to that, unless I dropped everything I was
> doing, that informantion was not in my hands.

in this wonderful new age, if are reading these words, then you do have that
information .. there is a wealth of biblio, search, library, ... data online
(and groing daily).    the craft section in my bookmark files in the areas that
interest me (metals, leather, jewelry, wood ...) grows on a daily basis.  when
i have a question or a new inquiry thread, first stop is a meta-search site and
lay out a new search strategy.

as for getting the books, several wonderful online sites that are well stocked
that sell cheaper than local (her at least) and ship right to your door.  as
for out of print works, you now have the world at your finger tips.

> ... There is no forum for the newby, or dabbler. I would like to see two
> competitions sit side by side, not as equals, but side by side.
>
> ... I would like to see an "Artisans" Competition at the same time as the
> regular A$S, not once every now and then at the few events that do
> "display". Competition is for fun, display is not a fun word, and we
> newbies do not understand it. The artisans competition should be in well
> estabished crafts, things there is no question about period or not,

good idea ... it's been broached time and time again over the years.  the
arguements against usually shoot it down - it "dilutes" the primary A&S, it's
not "appropriate", it's not "in spirit", not "how it's done" ...

second the suggestion .. have a artisans competition and let the populace
decide what they like.  art and craft is for appreciation, not judgement.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves