ANST - Documenting Vocal Performance

Lady Simone margiejr at sprintmail.com
Fri Feb 19 11:28:51 PST 1999

Give m some time to work it in with my mundane life and I will post a
reasonable paper on early forms of vocal music  and it's progression through
the middle ages.

one point I can make,is if we take away the music of the last 40 years. the
fundamentals of music theory and structure have remained fairly unchanged
sense the 1500.  being in the middle of the renaissance and early Baroque
periods of music in the vocal arts. the major changes after that time period
being in the areas of Operatic and orchestral music. the greatest changes in
Vocal music Occurred during the 12-1500's.

Lady Simone

>Really, all a vocal performer need to say is, "This is a hotly debated
topic, with many serious scholars making convincing arguments for many
different interpretations.  I have chosen to perform in ____ style, because
_______.  Scholar A and Scholar B suggest that this is reasonable for the
period."

>You do NOT have to PROVE that it was ONE TRUE WAY and no other.  You only
have to show an awareness of how they did it in period, or in this case, the
fact that we're not clear on how they did it in period, and explain why you
made the artistic choices that you did in yoru performance.  If you know of
scholarly opinions that reinforce that decision, cite them.

>I am NOT an expert in this field, but the last time I looked into the
issue, one of the big issues was that there was much debate over vibrato,
with most scholars thinking vibrato was a late innovation and therefore not
period. [NOTE: the scholarly viewpoint may have changed by now, I don't
know] .  At any rate, I would expect that a vocal perfomer should be aware
that this is an issue, and if they choose to use vibrato in their singing
performance, I'd expect them
>to explain why, and back it up in some way.  The important part here is
that the performer shows an awareness of how it was actually done in period,
even if they have made an artistic choice to deviate from that original.