ANST - Centurian award

Weiszbrod, Barbara Ann (Barbara)** CTR ** baw2 at lucent.com
Thu Feb 25 07:48:07 PST 1999

> Ok so here is a question I have had for sometime and this seems to lead
> into it even though the line originally started on another reference.
> Ansteorra now has a grant and a patent level award for fighting but do
> they have or are they considering an AoA level award for fighting.  I
> think this would be a good idea and would help provide some incentive to
> get better at fighting. Or a least some recognition for your efforts.  We
> have AoA level awards for service and A&S but not for fighting or I am
> just overlooking it.

Every time a fighter stepps onto the tourney field s/he gets all the
incentive needed to be a better fighter. The bruises, the lost opportunities
("geeze I should have had that shot"), and the attention of the crowd seems
to me to be plenty to keep the fighter striving to improve.

That is more than the other activities get usually.  An artisan can enter
their work in an A&S and get no feed back at all; that isn't unusual.  A
person doing service can work for years without anyone even thanking them
for their efforts; it has happened (the two AoAs that their Majesties gave
out at Coronation were both to people that had been in the SCA for more than
10 years but had not been given and AoA yet).  By the nature of the sport
fighters do not face the possibility of being over looked.

The award system in Ansteorra is very well put together and concise.  I
don't like when people want to add new awards and muddy the waters.

Alys D.
Steppes