ANST - Gulf War Advice

Kim Tucker neassa at swbell.net
Wed Feb 3 11:24:59 PST 1999

Greetings to the list from Baroness Neassa,

Dierdre, a gypsy in Wiesenfeuer, wrote:
> So .... I'm going to GulfWars this year ... it will be my first major event.
> Anyone who cares to offer bits of advice on things such as etiquette or
> packing ... please email me ... DierdrSybl at aol.com, thanks ;)

Gosh, I don't know where to start! How about...:

GULF WAR RULE #1:
---Have Fun!--- That's why we are all going in the first place.

PACKING:
1) Watch the forecasts, but you can probably count on both warm (or
hot!) and cold weather, so take some clothes for both, and definitely
bring a cloak.
2) Bring your most comfortable SCA shoes! You WILL walk a lot at the
war.
3) You might want to bring shower shoes, such as flip-flops, since at
least once during the war the drains will probably back up and you may
have to walk in an inch or so of water in the shower.
4) Bring LOTS of money. The merchants there are wonderful, and you will
want to visit them again, and again, and again...
5) Michael and I tend to pack our clothes in big plastic containers,
because it will probably rain at least once at the War, and our tent
tends to flood (it has something to do with that hole in the roof).
Later those containers stack to make great tables inside the tent.

FOOD:
1) There is a restaurant inside the A&S hall that will sell you
breakfast, lunch, and dinner at very reasonable prices, however, you may
want to get in with a bunch of friends and do group meals. This is
easier on the pocketbook, and can be lots of fun.
2) More news regarding lunch food for fighters, archers, siege weapon
crews, marshals, heralds, waterbearers, equetrians, etc. will be
forthcoming soon. Hint, hint...

ETIQUETTE:
1) Like every other event we have, everyone at the War is considered to
be of gentle birth. You may address everyone as m'lord and m'lady.
2) If you think crowns and coronets are confusing here at home, just
wait till you get to the War! When in doubt, you may address anyone
wearing a brass hat of any kind as "Your Excellency". That covers most
of them anyway.
3) If you run into any of the Gulf War Staff, the people who have worked
all year to organize this event for us, give them a big Thank You. They
deserve it.

Have fun at the war,
Neassa