ANST - Titles

Lorraine and/or Kief deer_kief at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 3 19:27:58 PST 1999

>It seems that His Majesty does not seem to have a problem with this ,
as a
>matter of fact he has been more than open about "private" mundane
affairs, I
>don't believe anyone was trying to pry into their business. As a matter
of
>fact I think It's far worse for people to speculate about the new
regents
>and by having this discussion so openly held has allowed more than just
>select few to be familiar with their King and Queen's background...

Speculation is a sport amongst most people. Though HRM has been very
generous in his openess, the form their relationship takes outside the
SCA is not what matters...

>There
>have been more than one King and Queen that I knew Absolutely nothing
>about...and they didn't make an effort to get to know their populace

The time to get to know the Crown is before they become such...Once
people become Crown, no matter how they try they are rarely able to
really "get to know" their subjects.  Many of our Crowns
make considerable efforts to travel to as far and to as many
places as they can.  Time, circumstances, and politics
all become limiting factors. By the time people get in a position to
be able to become Crown most (who achieved such inside the
Kingdom) are well traveled and fairly well known.

>  now I
>know that travel over the state of Texas and into Oklahoma can be a bit
>tiring and you would still not be able to meet your entire kingdom,

I am still a relative peon and have traveled MANY places and make
an effort to get to know people I have not met at all the events I
attend (20 + a year) and am constantly meeting people I never saw
before who have been in the SCA  1 to 6 years or more. I could not
even  imagine what it would like to be the Crown trying to meet and
connect with people, especially when they are in that state of
awe/fear/respect that I see in so many who meet the Crown for
the first time.

>But with
>the information highway being as easy as it is to use today,it opens a
whole
>new way of communication,  now it isn't exactly period but hey , His
Majesty
>has posted to this list far more than alot of regents that I've seen

Which may be more wise of them than you might know.

> and
>when he does he usually adresses the populace instead of singling out
an
>individual, making himself more approachable by all of his kingdom.

Its a Gunthar thing. You are right about one thing, though,
communicating
facelessly through the net,  he is approached  by and approaches
people without the awe-factor, this has its advantages and its
drawbacks.  Things voiced on the net tend to take on a life of
their own and  it is easy to forget that things published there are
usually done so by a very vocal MINORITY of the population and
that chatter on the net is usually stays just that ... idle chatter.

(snip)

>Just one of the little people
>
>Lady Annora vonKohler

Lorraine