ANST - New Topic...How does Gulf Wars compare to Lilies?

Margo Lynn Hablutzel Hablutzel at compuserve.com
Wed Feb 3 22:55:55 PST 1999

Angus forgot a few things:

        >> in the past I have found lillies to have:
        >> more fighting
        >> better fighting

Two tourneys a day in the official combats, plus a lot of other tourneys,
challenges, and general wompin'.  A torchlight tourney on the beach at
night.  The official fighting, BTW, doesn't start until 3:00pm or so, when
it's cooler.  And there's the lake to fall in when it's over.

        >> more friendly people in general
        >> better parties

In addition to The Firepit On The Point, there is the Outlands Party, the
Barony of Three Rivers Cocktail party, and random other ones.  The main
ones are scheduled so they don't all land on the same night.  And people
are always welcome to host parties, bardics, and other fun.  Ask nicely,a
dn you'll be invited to the Hotel Forgotten Sea's beer fountain.

        >> did I say better fighting

Not to mention MANY archery and thrown weapons competitions.  Combat
archery is allowed in battle, often to the disgust of the fighters.

And most of the fighting has flexible sides, you are not committed to one
or the other.  This year, the scenario is "Dukes v. Counts," anyone else
can fight for whomever they choose, and even change sides if they wish.
(Of course, Dukes and Counts cannot, but the rest of us are not
constrained.  Find yourself in a target-rich environment?  Switch sides.)

        >> 7 miles from town

Meaning:  Lots of fresh supplies.  A couple good liquor stores.  And if you
don't want to try the solar showers onsite, there is a shower building at
the campsite up the road which we are entitled to use, with heated water
and flush toilets and electricity and everything!

        >> it's held next to a lake

And sometimes IN the lake.

        >> no light fighting
        >> and those are all the pluses

YOU FORGOT:  A ball one night.
LOTS of A&S classes (and if you don't see one and want to give it,
         they will add you to the schedule).
A&S competitions, including one for on-site-made objects.
Flat $20.00 admission fee, for all this fun.  And lots of parking.
Sweet onsite drinkable water, from pumps.
The Calontir Navy maneuvers.
Popsicle and ice deliveries onsite.

FIREWORKS!!!!

        >> on the down side
        >> ITS HOT

Yeah, well, Missouri in June.
And it has ticks.  Mud occasionally.

        >> storms

Not every day.

For more info, check out the Lillies War website (accessible from the
Kingdom of Calontir homepage).

                                        ---= Morgan

           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
           |/     Morgan Cain * Hablutzel at compuserve.com
                     Barony of the Steppes * Ansteorra
                    daytime: margolh at nortelnetworks.com

         RULE No. 28: If there is danger involved, it is fun.
   RULE No. 29: It is more fun if it requires you to sign a waiver.
                      --- ESQUIRE magazine, February 1999, page 24