ANST - The Responsibility of Freedom (was: Censorship)

PKieferjr at aol.com PKieferjr at aol.com
Sun Feb 7 21:16:29 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/7/99 10:49:34 PM Central Standard Time,
charlene at flash.net writes:

 We've been through the censorship issue before (anyone know the number for
the
 archive?).  The list is here solely because Pug puts in the time and effort
 maintain it.  He can make whatever rules he wishes (and he has very few
compared
 to some lists).  If you don't like it you don't have to participate and you
are
 certainly welcome to set up another list anywhere you like.  There is even a
 webpage now that does lists for people:  http://www.egroups.com

And I will add further.

There are many of those who do terrible things, crying "FREEDOM!!!!"   And
yet, do they stop to think about the responsibility that this thing entails.
Are any of us willing to be responsible for the consequences of using that
freedom?  How many people have been hurt because someone decided that freedom
was much better than the responsibility.  How many people were hurt by
someone's concept of "freedom"?

How many of us are worthy of the freedom that somebody had fought and died
for?  How many of us are willing to take the responsibility that comes with
this hard-won freedom?

This list administrator had taken the responsibility of this freedom by
ensuring that the use does not hurt others or interfere with the freedom of
others.  Who among you are willing to take such a responsibility?

Does this mean censorship?  Maybe, but I accept that as the responsibility for
my freedom.

That is the price.....to act as a responsible person, accepting that what you
say can and will affect others, good or bad, and that you will accept the
responsibility and the consequences of those actions that you do in the name
of "freedom", by conducting yourself in a responsible manner.  If you do not
accept that responsibility, then you are not worthy of that freedom.

Thus ends my rant.  I've had a bad evening.

Lord Johanne Kiefer Haydon  (Paul E. Kiefer, Jr.)