ANST - "parasite" ... a new designation

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Mon Feb 8 11:15:53 PST 1999

doing abit of reading in some new keltoi resources i snagged (i love
amazon.com) and ran into a term i had never heard used before .... "parasite"
in it's origional form and usage.

"... a further detail is added by Athenaeus (also quoting Posidonius) when he
notes that "The Celts have in their company even in war, companions whom they
call parasites.  These men pronounce their praises before the whole assembly
and before each cheiftan in turn as they listen. ..."
                  _The Ancient Celts_, Barry Cunliffe  pp. 101

and lest we confuse the bards with parasites (g) ....

on the bardics class,  "... The value of the praises of such men would eb
greater than that of the subservient parasites ..."
			pp: 106

so, in the coming war, make sure you pack your bards and designated parasites
.... (g).  guess every culture has had it's "toadies".

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves