ANST - bards/parasites question

karl muller apophysis at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 9 08:41:39 PST 1999

maybe the reason the celts called the bards parasites was that not all
bards served one master. some made their living by going from town to
town. they were the one's who carried the news about wars and battles,
coronations, palace politics, and everything else from place to place.
they would come into town and be invited, usually, to the house of the
highest official, and relate the news in story or song. as payment, the
bard would be fed, sometimes clothed, and given a bed for as long as he
had stories or song to entertain with. or they would 'entertain'
traveler by the camp fire with the same stories and songs in exchange
for food and shelter. of course, the more the bards traveled, the more
material they had to 'earn' a living with.
km