ANST - Siege train/Truck prices

Keith Hood keith_dell at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 9 15:44:07 PST 1999

I finally bestirred myself and got some figures on renting a cargo
vehicle for moving the siege train to the war.  Here's some numbers.  In
Austin, I can get a better deal from Budget Rentals than from U-Haul.

Chevy cargo van - 305 cubic feet, 2000 pounds payload.
   $39.99 a day, 50 miles a day free.  Mileage over 50/day is
$0.25/mile.
   I was planning on picking up a vehicle on Monday, March 8, loading
that day and getting to the war site some time Tuesday.  I figured on
leaving the site on Sunday the 14th, and returning the vehicle on the
15th.  That's a total of 8 days on the rental, which is a daily total
cost of $319.92.
   Using a planning figure of 1200 miles, and planning on having the
vehicle out for 8 days (400 miles free), that works out to 800 paid
miles, which is $200 for mileage.  (I will try to get better mileage
figures and refine this cost breakdown.)

   Grand total $519.92.  That of course doesn't include gas, which I
figure will run another $60.00 to $80.00.

   The grand total rental charge for a 15-foot box body truck would be
$599.92 - it's daily rental rate is $49.99, but the mileage charge is
the same.  Being heavier the gas would probably run 20 or 30 dollars
more.  The truck capacity is 822 cubic feet and 3000 pounds.

Of course, the fewer days the vehicle is rented, the lower the cost.
And the figure I got from U-Haul came out to $638 for a 14-foot truck
for the same trip.

So, how does that seem to the people out there?  Still any interest?

      Tomonaga

--
A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.

        -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
               By Robert E. Howard, who should be
                 the patron saint of Ansteorra