ANST - The Bard's Road

Scott Fridenberg scottf at okom.net
Wed Feb 10 17:12:05 PST 1999

tegan at swbell.net wrote:

> I am autocrating an event in May in Loch Soilleir and since it is
> our Baronial Championship where we pick our Bard and Artisan I have no
> choice but to make it a competition. What I would like is some input
> from bards that are currently competing on how we could improve upon
> the standard competition.
> Since this event will be special because we will be welcoming a new
> Baron and Baroness I wish to have lots of entertainment.
> I myself prefer wandering bards. There is nothing like having a bard
> wander in to your pavillion and entertain you with story and song to
> make you feel special.
> Basically what can I do to accomadate you the bards?
> E-mail me privately if you wish.
> Tegan Rhos

	I've ran a few competitions where the Bards are given tokens of some kind, (
we used rings the first time) and throughout the day the bards will challenge
one another and wager tokens on the outcome of the challenge.  The challenge
can be anything of a bardic nature that they agree on, and they decide amoung
themselves who will judge the challenge.  They are encouraged to choose judges
from amoung the populace.  This format is a lot of fun for the bards and the
populace alike.  You can select the winner as the person with the most tokens,
or choose the 3 or 4 with the most tokens for a judged final round.
	We have learned from experience that you should place a tight limit on the
number of tokens that can be wagered and limit challenges to two or three
bards.  If not you may find that several bards who have very few tokens left
will join in one group challenge and suddnly the competition will be decided
on the basis of one performance rather than consistant quality throughout the
day.  This tends to spoil the competition.

Robert Fitzmorgan
Barony of Northkeep
Bard of Elfsea
Minstral of Mooneschadowe