ANST - Documentation (was Brewing competition results...)

Mirrim mirrim at moritu.net
Mon Feb 15 10:31:30 PST 1999

Michael Silverhands wrote:
(snip)
> An artisan recently put it to me something like this: "I'm an artisan. I
> make things. I make them in a period style, using period methods as much
> as possible, and with as much craftsmanship as I can. But, lately, I can't
> even get a positive comment from the judges, let alone win a competition.
> All they want to talk about is my documentation (or lack thereof).
(snip)

Documentation is your proof that you are making things in a period style
using close to period methods.  It doesn't mean you have to pick something
that actually existed in period and copy it.  I've talked to several laurels about
documentation and A&S competitions.  A few suggestions for documentation
are:

Have a 1 page summary in your own words explaining what you did.  Explain
what part of the work is period and why you did things differently.  Explain
your reasoning behind making changes from period.

If it's a major project, keep a log of how long it took, mistakes made, and what
you learned while doing the project.

Attach supporting documentation to back up your summary.  List a
bibliography.

This is all speaking from someone who isn't an artisan but wants to learn
enough about arts to give largesse on a better basis than "It looks pretty."

Baroness Mirrim of Bristol

"Practice principled acts of self-interest and ruthless logic"