ANST - Periodish

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon Feb 15 17:11:48 PST 1999

> Periodish, as defined by Mahee:
>      It would make sence for someone to have tried it, but
> I cann't prove that someone did, IE: I am currently card
> weaving a belt.-thats period. I am weaving the belt in such
> a way that there is a point at the end-don't know if that is
> period or not. I am doing my own design, and not
> following any pattern I know of as being period. I am
> adding a braid into my pattern-no idea of that is period
> either.
>
> Periodish-not fantasy

Actually, the term in this particular example is "period".  If you look at either of the two highly recommended sources (Atwater's Byways in Handweaving or Collingwood's book on Tablet Weaving) you can certainly document these items and probably lots more.  All you have to show is that similar (not identical, even) design elements were in use somewhere before 1600.

We also have lots of evidence from the Viking Age about exact patterns and thus types of patterns used -- the Vikings liked trim with metallic thread, and the metal part remains even after the rest rots.  So we can exactly reconstruct the weave and the pattern, though not the color of the missing parts.

This is a case where the documentation is *EASY* -- if you took 10 minutes to surf to Thora Sharptooth's webpage, you'd have known some of this.  Consulting with a few of the expert weavers, you could probably get a copy of their documentation for past projects that would guide you to the rest of the sources you need.

But I do stand by the statement about "periodish" being a synonym for fantasy -- it all too often IS exactly that.

::GUNNORA::