ANST - Periodish

Christina magdlena at texas.net
Mon Feb 15 18:07:26 PST 1999

> But I do stand by the statement about "periodish" being a synonym for fantasy -- it all too often IS exactly that.

I don't agree.  Periodish is the word I use for the grey area between being a reproduction piece and a fantasy/modern piece.  It's the way I describe almost all of the brewing and vinting in this kingdom, for instance.  Even on those rare occasions that I work directly from a period recipe, I use modern yeast strains, modern equipment, and modern fruit varietals.  My
two attempts at period brewing methods failed quite messily, so anything you have seen from me has been at least partly a modern methodology.  That's pretty true across the board, so far as I know.  I like to brew with fruits and herbs that I know were used in cooking, but that I do not have an alcohol recipe which includes those ingredients.  I would define my body of
work as periodish.  I wouldn't call it fantasy.  I like what I do, and I am satisfied with my reasoning for doing the non-documentable and non-period parts.

-Magdalena