ANST - Diarmaid on Documentation

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon Feb 15 18:40:27 PST 1999

Here's another reprint, with permission, from the SCA Arts List:

Subject: Re: Documentation - Where & How do I Begin?
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 8:40:22 -0600
From: "I. Marc Carlson" <LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu>

> Unfortunately, when I joined the SCA I was told by a previous A&S Minister
> that documentation wasn't necessary.  I never questioned that statement.  I
> have since found out that documentation is very important.

There are some times and places where it isn't needed.  When you are making an
outfit for your own wear, for example, it's usually not required.  When you are
putting something in a competition or in a display, though, you are essentially
saying that "*THIS* is what was done; THIS is a "fact"", and being able to
document that is very important.  This is why being able to say that "such-and-
such was done, but because of this reason I did this instead" is also important.
You are still showing what is a "fact".

This becomes *crucial* if you are displaying something that is not inside the
canonical "accepted writ" of "how things were done" (something that happens to
me far too frequently).  It wasn't THAT long ago that I was told by allegedly
knowledgeable people that "people didn't use horn in Period except to drink from,
or to blow through" and "leather tooling isn't period".

This segues into the other major reason for documentation, besides the
argumentative, "prove to me you didn't just make this up" thing -- you may have
information that the judges, people who are ostensibly (one hopes) versed in
the field you are displaying or competing in, don't have and may want to
study themselves.

Showing documentation also can show a judge that you know the sources available,
that you've done the research, and sometimes help to distinguish between a
person who's just starting out in a field, and someone who's very knowledgeable
in the field.

Personally, one of the first places I look in a book on a topic is the
bibliography.

> I do not know where to begin.

It's the same as journalism -- who, what, why, where, how.  Who made it, who
would have made it, who would have used it. What is it. Why would they have done
things in such a way, so why did you. Where would it have been used, made,
found.  How did they do it, how did you?

There may also be some local variations that your kingdom will ask for too :)

> What do the judges expect?  What should be included in any documentation
> packet?

Unfortunately there is no set standard, and different judges, much less
different competitions will have different standards.  You can try asking the
people in charge of the competition for what THEY expect.  Personally, I wish
there was a way to teach people what to look for and how to judge, since often
the judges don't seem to have any better a clue than the anyone else what to
look for.

> I had to make some substitutions for things that are not available today.
> >From what the Laurels said, and if I understood them correctly, they said it
> was OK to make it the modern way and use modern items, as long as what was
> used originally was not available.  They also said I had to document it and
> explain why I did it that way.

If it were me judging, a statement of "I chose this fabric because it was what
I had to hand (or it was cheapest)" on a garment where the form of assembly was
what was being displayed - that would be likely all right (unless the drape was
completely wrong for the original fabric, such that the garment was being
presented).  "I used a machine to sew this because my hand work is sucky (like
mine)" or "I just didn't have the time" -- sure that's fine (please note that
*sometimes* this is used to try and excuse laziness on the part of an entrant,
when in fact excusing the laziness just emphasizes it :) .

If you are using a technique that is inaccurate -- for example, using a lacing
fork to punch the holes in leather for sewing, or using a sewing machine --
don't assume that no one will notice.  The lacing fork will cut holes and
damage the leather you are working on while using an awl will not.  However,
it *is* faster, and if you make badly uneven stitches without the help you may
be more interested in how the item will appear than whether it will have to take
a lot of stress. A sewing machine makes a very distinctive stitch (and one that
I don't think was used all that often in period).

I will suggest that if you are doing things like substituting materials used
try to avoid arguable facts -- for example "I used cotton here instead of linen
because linen's too expensive" or "wool's too hot" are far more likely to have
me come track you down and argue with you about it than "I used cotton...
because I believe that linen's too expensive".  One's a statement of fact,
one's a statement of opinion, and the distinction is clearly drawn.  I can't
argue with the fact that it is your opinion.

>  So I'm trying to do just that and enter my
> costume again.  I was also informed that you could enter one item three times
> if they were entered in three different SCA Branch events.  Learn something
> new every day.  Is this correct?

I don't know of any such rule in Ansteorra.

Don't sweat it.  You may find it easier to also just accept that once you've
done all the work, you will never please all the possible judges looking at your
work.  I'm actually fairly easy to please - be honest, and don't try to treat me
like I'm too stupid to notice that you are pulling a fast one :)  Some other
people *never* seem to be happy with what you've got down (often because they
feel it's there job to continually push you on towards bigger and better
things).  Just be patient, cover your bases, tuck in your sheet corners, and
keep at it.

Marc/Diarmaid