ANST - Diarmaid on Documentation

Don Christian Doré jtc at io.com
Tue Feb 16 07:22:02 PST 1999

On 15 Feb 99,, Gunnora Hallakarva wrote:

> This segues into the other major reason for documentation, besides the
> argumentative, "prove to me you didn't just make this up" thing -- you may
> have information that the judges, people who are ostensibly (one hopes)
> versed in the field you are displaying or competing in, don't have and may
> want to study themselves.

It might even show us something that none of the rest of us know.
When it does, that's really cool. Better yet, it may disprove
something that we all "know".

Documentation also gives us an idea of the scope of a project. I
was a judge in one A&S where we awarded top honors to a mead. A
few people were quite upset that a "simple" project like a mead
won out over more complex projects. They did not read the
documentation. That mead started with raising the bees!

I have also seen a knitted shawl place well over items that seem to
be more complex. But if you read the documentation you will
realize that shawl was started when the lady visited a sheep farm
and had them sheer a sheep for her. That should be worth extra
points in anyone's book.

I have to agree, serious A&S entries revolve on the documentation.

Doré