ANST - artistic possibility was Periodish

Dory Grace amazing at texas.net
Tue Feb 16 09:47:02 PST 1999

Ches wrote:
>But, I would not enter the iron rose in an A&S. I do not think it is a
>period item, it is an artistic possibility that I cannot document. I would
>instead create a piece of jewelry of a silver or golden rose. THAT
>artistic possibility I can document.

This sort of thing is in the realm of "is it reasonable to assume they
would have produced such and item?" If for example you can find example of
other decorative items, especially floral, that were made of iron, it would
be reasonable to assume they either would or may have created an iron rose
in period. Another example: if you found a rare example of a boar's head
repoussee'd into the breastplate of a suit of 15th century armor, you could
justify entering a breastplate with a lion's head in repoussee. This is all
assuming similarity in style, of course.

Some pieces of medieval art are truly funky and unusual. You never know
what you might turn up during your research.

Aquilanne

Dory Grace***The Inkwell
Austin, TX

"No matter where you go, there you are."