ANST - hands-on pewter casting class at GW

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue Feb 16 12:08:46 PST 1999

Ronnie Said:
> I'm hearing, "I want to touch it.  I want to play."
> Is there any way some of us who work in these arts
> or sciences can set up or set aside a project or
> piece of a project, that *anyone* can just play
> with for 5 or 10 minutes? At Gulf A&S, I saw some
> *wonderful* stained glass.  The weaving against the
> wall fascinated me -- mostly because the artisan
> was working the piece as I watched.  And I learned,
> both from the watching, and from the explanations.
> I'd have loved to do some hands-on on some of the
> things I saw (not the entry pieces, but maybe with
> scrap or leftover materials).  Not in a collegium
> context, but to observe the works, learn something
> of how it feels, what it takes and how it's done,
> while it's happening, and then try a little ourselves.

If you or anyone else here would like to learn how to do some
pewter casting using the period technique I will be teaching a
hands-on class on this at the upcoming Gulf Wars.

Using pewter casting you can create items from jewelry to
buttons to belt ends to belt loops and decorations to coins
and pilgrim's tokens. The last make great SCA site tokens.

How about buttons with your device on them? Or a belt end
with your device? How about a small perfume vial or holy
water container?

I will be teaching a two part class. Thursday norning we will
go over the basics, I will demonstrate some casting and you can
start carving your mold. Friday morning, we will pour some items
using the molds that you have carved.

I will provide soapstone and some tools. Please bring any small
carving tools that you might have.

The class is limited to 15 people but if you find me at other
times I'm sure we can arrange another time if you can't come at
the scheduled times.

For those who might be interested in this class and what a head
start check out this file in my Florilegium files:
casting-msg       (85K)  8/28/97    Casting pewter and other metals.

My files are on the web at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Lord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad