ANST - artistic possibility was Periodish

AuroraeB at aol.com AuroraeB at aol.com
Tue Feb 16 22:08:45 PST 1999

<<  As long as you put the differences and
 similarities into your documentation then you should be fine.  The idea
 could be there if the practice was not left for us to see. >>

This makes perfect sense to me.....  If we go on only things we have actual
exact documentation of from the time period, we will have a limited base to
work with.  It would leave us with just re-creating exactly that which has
been done.  Which takes great skill.  BUT, it is also a sign of creativity and
artistry to take those basic design concepts and work with them to create
something new and unique that could have very well been made in period times
and document that there were:  approximate materials, techniques, and
knowledge availible to the artisans of that time to have made a similar object
(or composed a similar work, or danced a similar dance)

I think that is what SCA A&S is all about.  Not necessarily re-creating an
already existing object/work to the last detail, but leaving room for
interpretation and creativity.

What do y'all think?

Tracy R.

(Aurora)