ANST - Performance Documentation (was Bard .NE. Minstrel)

Timothy of Glastonbury timothy_of_glastonbury at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 17 10:14:20 PST 1999

---"Mike C. Baker" <kihe at ticnet.com> wrote:

> One of the keys that simply must be addressed in the process is that
> we cannot allow the push for authenticity to block the development of
> creativity. I've seen it happen too often, I fear, and know without
doubt
> that it will happen again. Human nature & the hazards of interacting
> with all of its myriad adherents (including some that we might
question
> from time to time as qualifying for admission to the category
"human").

This is not meant to be insulting ... please understand, but :

I think that using 'creativity' as an arguement as to why you cannot
document is a mistake.  I feel our society has two expectations from a
performer.  Around the campfires, we are entertainment, we must
entertain.  Often period forms are complex, confusing, and do not
entertain.  Here is the place for original pieces that do not work to
be within period forms.

At a competition, something different is expected. It is expected that
you will compete with a piece in period form, with documentation.  We
are a society of research, and this is where we show it.

This is not unique to the bardic arts, there is a difference between
good costuming and period costuming. Both may look good and be
pleasing at first sight, but the period costuming can be supported
with documentation, it is a recreation, not 'look and feel' copycat.

Ld. Timothy of Glastonbury
Stirring the Fire
timothy_of_glastonbury at yahoo.com