ANST - Observations on the terms "Celt" and "Bard"

Spatsman at aol.com Spatsman at aol.com
Wed Feb 17 16:13:27 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/17/99 5:00:07 PM Central Standard Time,
JCarlson at firstchurchtulsa.org writes:

<< And, you know what?  Knowing that they were struggling to keep body and
 soul together, were often vilified by society, and still developed their
 art forms and produced such a large body of work as has survived, makes
 them all the more inspiring to me than someone raised up to the social
 status of "Bard" from childhood - that's the equivalent of a good prep
 school and Ivy League education, with a spot in Uncle George's big firm
 after graduation, and a guarantee of being part of the social set for life.

 Talana the Violet
 Northkeep

This is an old and well -researched argument.
You are correct, of course. Most societies were not keen to honor their
artists, performers or otherwise. Bard is a term of common usage SCA-wide, but
you'll probably find that most performers are very aware of their cultural
titles and status.
Skalds know they are skalds, and troubadours are familiar with their proper
title.
Yes, the struggling artists of countries less civilized then Ireland deserve
recognition for their faith and passion, but to think of a bard as being born
with a silver spoon...
I am MERELY an Irish bard, not an ollave. I'm not even a Nemedian Fili!
And, trust me, no Ansteorran gives respect or quarter to a performer based on
his birth-status alone. He or she had better be talented, God save them!
It is a pity that someone may not be as inspired by my work just because Mum
was a smart and resourceful lady.
~HL Fionnagan