ANST - Performing and Documentation

Spatsman at aol.com Spatsman at aol.com
Thu Feb 18 19:58:27 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/18/99 6:30:51 PM Central Standard Time,
philipwhite at hotmail.com writes:

<<  Also, written documentation should not be a deterrant from a
 performers work.  I do not belive that it would hinder creativity.  And
 don't give me the reason that it wasn't done in period either.  People
 who produce garb are expected to document there peices, when in period
 that same person may not have even been able to read and write.
   Once a performer starts documenting their pieces their whole act will
 get better.  You do not have to find new primary sources over and over.
 As time goes on, your knowlage will grow and you will become closer to
 the dream.
   Then again, this is just how I feel about performing adn
 documentation.

 Your servant to command,
   Philip White

I have a suggestion that may quell fears of performing with documentation.
Intro is very important to performers, and starting with an explanation seems
to be the primary concern.
When to present documentation?
Perhaps a performer could stand, hit the audience with that smashing opening,
give the entire performance in full, bow, and quietly deliver the written
documentation to the judges for later reading. Those that argue that judges
somtimes don't have that kind of time might consider that the judges might be
reading the documentation during the performance, a discourtesy I have seen
before.
I prefer the former.
~Fionnagan