ANST - A Question for the Performers

Weiszbrod, Barbara Ann (Barbara)** CTR ** baw2 at lucent.com
Fri Feb 19 06:13:51 PST 1999

> What can the Laurels do, or we would like to see them do for the
> performing
> arts??

Okay, not to be beating this dead horse, but since it is the topic of the
day, one thing that the Laurels could do for the performing arts is a
clearer definition of what documentation is required.  I have asked several
different Laurels that question, and have received several very different
answers.

Also, the level of documentation that was being suggested was enormously
high.  For a vocal piece they were suggesting information on period vocal
style, a hotly debated topic among the most educated early music
enthusiasts.  I am thinking that the people that suggested that don't have
enough information to know what a huge topic they were introducing.  Little
written information remains, and written information to describe a vocal
technique is so open to interpretation that a text book could not cover the
subject.

I am all for documentation, and even for encouraging people to tackle the
big topics, but there should be some basic format to follow, so you can be
sure you have covered the minimum any Laurel would expect.

Alys.
Steppes