Students becoming Peers (Was Re: ANST - Grants and "qualities"... -Reply)

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Fri Feb 19 08:21:53 PST 1999

Norman White (gn-white at tamu.edu) said something that sounded like:
> Pug Bainter said amongst other things:
> >Hell. I can't name the last Laurel that wasn't an
> >Apprentice, but that's another issue entirely.
> I was not an apprentice

Thank you. I honestly couldn't remember.

> and to be truthful, whether or not someone is an apprentice is not an
> issue in the Laurel's circle.

If the Circle does not look at these issues, it is great! I would
certainly hope that they don't as well.

Part of this is not the Circle's perspective though, but the populaces.

Unfortunately many people see it such that they "have" to be a
squire/apprentice/protege (less on the last one) to become a Peer. The
fact that a higher and higher percentage of the Peers hold this position
with their teacher reinforces it into the group consciousness.

What happens from this is that more and more people take this role
within our Society since they feel it will improve their chances of
becoming a Peer. This in turn increases the percentage of students vs.
non-students becoming Peers, thus causing the viscous cycle to
continue.

Maybe I just have a skewed viewpoint and am wrong about this.

Ciao,