ANST - Boffers

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 19 08:01:55 PST 1999

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Manfred von Wolf says:
>Much has been made (and rightly so) about how the pending approval of
boffer will give the teens and younger members of our Society something
to do and be a path to the chivalric fighting... but I think we're
missing something else:

>The adults can play it too!  New comers and non-authorized fighters can
take part in boffer tourneys.  Ladies who wouldn't dream of donning
heavy armor can pick up a boffer blade and defend their own honor!  And
the potential for evening play is endless... when I started in the
Society, I recall a Tavern Brawl of boffer weapons (boffer rolling pins,
boffer skillets, even boffer fish!).  This will add another fun activity
to the already full plate the SCA offers!!

Well, although I'm not too fond of the idea, there's nothing stopping
you from doing this already.  The new rules allow minors to participate
in boffer combat.  Adults require no such ruling.

The boffer circuit Sir Dieterich is outlining, however, is for minors
only.  If you're over seventeen, you already have numerous martial
options (yes, including the sort of boffer tavern brawl you mention).
Teens currently have nothing.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace