ANST - Boffers

Sean Bartholome okami69 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 22 07:00:43 PST 1999

>Much has been made (and rightly so) about how the pending approval of
boffer will give the teens and younger members of our Society something
to do and be a path to the chivalric fighting... but I think we're
missing something else:

>The adults can play it too!  New comers and non-authorized fighters can
take part in boffer tourneys.  Ladies who wouldn't dream of donning
heavy armor can pick up a boffer blade and defend their own honor!  And
the potential for evening play is endless... when I started in the
Society, I recall a Tavern Brawl of boffer weapons (boffer rolling pins,
boffer skillets, even boffer fish!).  This will add another fun activity
to the already full plate the SCA offers!!

>(Are Their Majesties looking??)   Vivat Boffer!!
>

>Herr Manfred von Wolf, Sentinal Pursuivant
>Barony of the Stargate, Ansteorra

I heartily agree...  Vivat Boffers  !!!!

Boffers are very much a safer alternative to heavy/light combat for
young and old.  Lots of fun.  Cheap and fairly easy to make.  No real
armor requirements needed.  Especially if not hitting the head, neak or
groin.  It is very good training tool as well.  Allowing fighters to
particpate 'full speed' without need to armor up.  Only disadvantage to
training would be the lack of weight equal to rattan.  Yet there are
possible ways around that for the particpants who are willing.

This is a very good thing for the children of the Society.  It will
allow them a more active hand in their parents dream.  The won't feel as
left out.  Plus it will help train future fighters.  Which more than
likely end up being really scary by the time they reach heavy fighting
age.

Again let me say,  Vivat Boffers !!!!

Yours in Service,

Sabishii Okami