ANST - Quilting in Period (WAS: Documnetation)

Lael Portwood laepor at fisd.hub.ofthe.net
Mon Feb 22 08:09:13 PST 1999

Also, applique in quilting is period.  And, one of the oldest forms of quilting is trapunto which is a decorative quilted design in high relief worked through at least two layers of cloth by outlining the design in running cloth padding it from the underside.

I believe that piecing is period.  I have seen many examples in medieval art of clothing made from many different materials pieced together.  Whether they were quilted or not was difficult to tell.

Ascelyn

>>> Margo Lynn Hablutzel <Hablutzel at compuserve.com> 02/22 7:34 AM >>>
> I'm also working on documenting quilts, among other things....

Piecework appears to be later.  Quilting in period was wholecloth or
whitework; the examples I have seen used panels to tell a story, such as
from the Bible or a legend.  The figured might be additionally padded for
better relief.  I think the extant examples (the ones I remember anyway,
and I think I have photos somewhere) are in Italy.

                                        ---= Morgan

           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
           |/     Morgan Cain * Hablutzel at compuserve.com
                     Barony of the Steppes * Ansteorra
                        (and sometimes in Atlantia)
                    daytime: margolh at nortelnetworks.com

    Criticisms are like homing pigeons. They always return home.
                           --- Dale Carnegie