ANST - RE: Class Handouts

Russell russmax at cowboy.net
Tue Feb 23 23:57:16 PST 1999

   When I teach, it's usually dance. When I teach dance I always try to
provide a handout, even in my home troupe, if it's a new dance. I can't
see how it would be much good to teach dances that will be cleanly
forgotten in a couple of days if the participants don't have a sheet of
paper to jog their memories the next time they dance. It greatly annoys
me to attend a dance class with no handout from the instructor.

   It's also important to provide documentation, so that folks will know
which dances are actually period, and where they were danced, so they
will know how that particular dance would affect their persona.

   Usually, though, I don't give the handout until the end of class. I
don't want people ignoring me to look at the handout.

   I also teach Intro to SCA classes and juggling. The Intro class
always has a handout, too. I never give handouts with juggling. That
would be useless.