ANST - Grants and "qualities"...

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Wed Feb 24 18:12:48 PST 1999

> > What I understood about the Centurion when Inman started it at Ansteorra's
> > 15th year (?) was that it was supposed to be for those fighters who would
> > probably never be knighted for whatever reason, but who were extremely
> > competent fighters who were the backbone of the Ansteorra Army.  It could
> > have been told to me wrong, or the standards changed.

The other nasty rumor was that it was created with the intent of
being the equivalent of the WS, thereby pointing up the fact that
the WS is not a peerage. I suppose if one really wants to know the
intent one would have to ask the creator in person.

However, whatever the intent, the Centurion has found it's place in
our awards structure an is being used in a very constructive way. I
suppose we are lucky, but most of our crowns have been good
people who honestly try to do their best for their kingdom. In
addition, I know some of the Centurions and they have worked hard
to make their order something to take seriously. When you have a
lot of Ansteorrans working to make something better, I guess it
does not really matter how it started.

Don Christian Doré