ANST - Period ... tofu?

Crescentia _ crescentia3 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 25 10:22:21 PST 1999

*smile*  That's definitely one of the nice things about having a list
such as this...you can post the strangest questions and actually get
feedback.  ^_^
I found some more information for her-- I don't know if it's helpful or
not, but it's related to tofu's historicity.  It was introduced to Japan
in the Nara period.  It was first called "tofu" in the Muromochi period.
Before then, it was called "okabe", "kabe" [wall], and "shirakabe"
[white wall].  It first became popular for the general public's
consumption during the Edo period.
Good luck to her again-- I have a feeling that somewhere, at some Feast
in the future, someone will be silently cursing the names of all who
have replied to this string.  ^_^

-Crescentia