ANST - Centurian award

Wayne Ross/Duncan Hepburn courtier at geocities.com
Thu Feb 25 10:42:38 PST 1999

Ainar wrote:
> I just have
>never understood why it is that I can get an award that recognizes my skill
>and participation in the A&S activities but not on the field untill someone
>considers me for a grant level award.
>Ainar Magnusson
>ainar at geocities.com

 The Sable Falcon is recognition. Do you want recognition, or merely a
higher position on the O.P.? Remember that before the Centurion, there was
only the Falcon before Knighthood/Mastery at Arms. That was a big step in
filling the gap, I think anyway. Also, note that until the Crown's Favor was
established, just recently, that there was no non-armigerous award for
artisans, and there is no non-armigerous award for service. Also, no AoA
level awards exist for rapier, and no armigerous awards exist at all for
equestrian or archery.

Alys wrote:
>>The award system in Ansteorra is very well put together and concise.  I
>>don't like when people want to add new awards and muddy the waters.

There are definately areas of rapid growth in the SCA,  such as equestrian
and archery, where an award system needs to be developed. However, in my
opinion, the established areas of the SCA, i.e. chivalric combat, service,
and A&S, already have a sufficiently fleshed out award system, and any
additional awards are only, as Alys said, muddying the waters.

please note that these are my opinions, and no personal attacks were
intended in my commentary.

Duncan Hepburn
Steppes, Ansteorra