ANST - Centurian award

Rick Drake rdrake at okom.net
Thu Feb 25 11:22:40 PST 1999

> The Sable Falcon is recognition. Do you want recognition, or merely a
>higher position on the O.P.?

Nope just recognition.  See my prev. post :)

Remember that before the Centurion, there was
>only the Falcon before Knighthood/Mastery at Arms. That was a big step in
>filling the gap, I think anyway.

Understood and agreed with. But it still takes some time to get to that
level of skill.  And I feel that folks would like to have some recognition
of improvement before the GoA level.

 Also, note that until the Crown's Favor was
>established, just recently, that there was no non-armigerous award for
>artisans, and there is no non-armigerous award for service. Also, no AoA
>level awards exist for rapier, and no armigerous awards exist at all for
>equestrian or archery.

Ok so why not make an AoA level award on the same setup as the thistle.
Recognition for martial skill in any area. Archery/heavy/light would just be
subcatagories under that just as people get the thistle for diff. skills.

>There are definately areas of rapid growth in the SCA,  such as equestrian
>and archery, where an award system needs to be developed. However, in my
>opinion, the established areas of the SCA, i.e. chivalric combat, service,
>and A&S, already have a sufficiently fleshed out award system, and any
>additional awards are only, as Alys said, muddying the waters.
>
>please note that these are my opinions, and no personal attacks were
>intended in my commentary.
>
>Duncan Hepburn
>Steppes, Ansteorra

And not my echo of the above statement.  I in no way intend this as an
attack on anyone's opinions or ideas.  I just wanted to start a conversation
and see what the overall prevailing attitude was.  I am happy with the
current system but like anything else I am always looking to see if doing it
a diff way is an improvement.  Note that not everything new is an
improvement and I don't mean it that way.  But I am always open and looking
for ways to make the dream more real for each and everyone of us.
Ainar