ANST - Fighting Awards....

Lenny Zimmermann zimmerml at kci1.com
Thu Feb 25 13:41:53 PST 1999

On Thursday, February 25, 1999 3:01 PM, Reginlief wrote:

>If we use the mentality of "arts have this award" and "service has this
>award", so fighters should have an equal award, then we also have to
>consider the fact that ONLY fighters can win Crown Tourney.  Using that
>same mentality that the awards have to be distributed equally between the
>areas, when can artisans win Crown with art?  Workers with service?

Rules for winning Crown is something I won't try to delve into right now,
but this does bring up how we seem to pigeon-hole everything with our awards
system. If we look at period models we don't find anything quite like what
we do. By the 16th century Knighthood was given for many different reasons,
not just for someone with capability, or even skill, on the field of battle.
As such I think we would be better off doing something different. Why not
let the Sable Thistle be an award for ANY AOA level form, not just "arts &
sciences". Why not have a thistle for archery, or rapier, or cooking, or
service in the kitchen? One award, many reasons it could be given and it
could be given multiple times for different "forms". The Thistle really is a
pretty neat idea, but why limit its flexibility only to the arts & sciences
when it could be expanded so easily? We don't always have to continue
thinking in the box. And besides, Ansteorra is known for it's pioneering
spirit, is it not?

Just something to consider.

Honos Servio
Messer Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg
(Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio)
zarlor at acm.org