ANST - Centurian award

Burke McCrory bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us
Thu Feb 25 15:37:04 PST 1999

At 12:45 PM 2/25/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Sir Burke said:
>
>>I have seen the Sable Falcon given by the Crown on a number of occasions
>>when the Crown did not witness the actual deeds, but was told of them by
>>members of the Chivalry or Centurions.  In situations like Gulf Wars or
>>Pennsic it is sometimes very hard for the Crown to see what others are
>>doing in the middle of the battles (especially if they are fighting for
>>their very lives!).  Remember that anyone can recommend to the Crown, any
>>person, for any award.
>>

>Ah thank you for correcting me.  I had always thought that it was only given
>out under direct observation of the crown.  Also is it directly related to
>fighting in wars?  Or can it be given out for prowess on the tourny field
>also?  We have lots of fighters that don't go to wars and vice versa.
>
>Ainar

I have seen it given out for both.  Also, the sable falcon is one of those
awards that has evolved over the years.  Each Crown has a little bit
different take on it.  When it was originally created, it was as much for
fighting heart and spirit as for prowess.  If you look at many of the early
recipients you will see that they were not terrors on the field or great
warriors but, they all displayed the heart and soul of a Ansteorran
fighter.  They were always there ready to fight,  even when they were
tired.  They always looked towards fighting with a special joy and even
when the were killed quickly, they would jump right back up and be ready to
go at it again.  So,  to me the Sable Falcon is really more for heart then
for prowess.  Just my two pence worth.

Burke McCrory
Internet Administrator
Oklahoma Tax Commission