ANST - Period ... tofu?

Crescentia _ crescentia3 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 25 19:54:14 PST 1999

Dear Isabeau--

The Nara Period was from 710-792.  The Muromachi Period was from
1333-1573.  The Edo Period (sometimes called the Tokugawa Period, after
its founder) was from 1603-1867.  As a side historical note, Buddhism
was imported (in the form of a present) in either 538 or 552.  There
seems to be some degree of confusion on that point.

Regarding European-Japanese interaction in period, the first Europeans--
Portuguese-- arrived in Kyushu (Western Japan) in 1542.  And as
additional background information, St. Francis Xavier established the
first mission  (in 1549 or 1550) in Kyoto.  The Jesuits made up the main
body of missionaries; the Franciscans were present to a lesser degree.
(The Jesuits were interesting insofaras their method consisted of
educating the children of prominent Japanese. The children would take
tests they would study their whole lives for, to acheive a governmental
position.  So a lot of the Jesuits who taught mnemonics and memory
tricks definitely made themselves very strong political friends.)  And
of course, you would have the traders going in and out of Japan.  _The
Memory Palace of Matteo Ricci_ by Jonathan D. Spence is a really good
book to read if you want to get an idea of these early European-Japanese
interactions.

I doubt tofu would really be around in 13th c. Spain, though, although I
have no idea where the soybean grew in that time period.  But as a last
side note (*apologies for my tangents!*), I read somewhere that an
interesting way to explain your food preferences is merely to say that
"I'm giving up meat for my penance" or somesuch.  ^_^

-Crescentia the Non-Concise

>Dear Crecentia
>    As a semi vegiterian married to a completely veggie man, I am
>impressed with the reseach and the talk lately reguarding the tofu.
Could