ANST - Grants and

Lorraine and/or Kief deer_kief at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 26 05:27:33 PST 1999

Heilsa Mirrim, my Noble Cousin, my Most Honorable Friend Christian, and
Alrek, my Good Brother, and all other True Ansteorrans...

It has been written and speculated:

>> What I understood about the Centurion when Inman started it at
Ansteorra's
>> 15th year (?) was that it was supposed to be for those fighters who
would
>> probably never be knighted for whatever reason, but who were
extremely
>> competent fighters who were the backbone of the Ansteorra Army.  It
could
>> have been told to me wrong, or the standards changed.
>> Mirrim

In those august days I was Principal Herald, HE Lorraine was my most
able secretary... HM Inman spoke of the new award He wished to give the
Kingdom... He spoke of giving Word Fame and Tokens of Esteem to those
folk that were unspoken leaders on the field of War, of Noble demeanor,
and Courtly Graces.... He searched among His counselors and found 6 most
Worthy Gentles to bestow the Honor upon. HE Lorraine, with small help
from myself, wrote the Charter of the Order. It was designed to emulate
the Singular Grace of the Order of the White Scarf. As well, His Majesty
wished to give Especial Recognition to the White Scarves... The
Centurions of the Sable Star were created co-equal with the Order of the
White Scarf of Ansteorra and both Orders were awarded the Right and Duty
of Consultation with the Crown Heads of Ansteorra, the same Right given
to the Peerage Orders in our Fair Kingdom... Never, in my eyes, did His
Majesty Inman intend the Centurions to be an Order for "those less
able", indeed the opposite is true... He Recognized those True
Ansteorrans that were Great in Heart, of Proven Ability on the field of
War, of Noble Visage, and well versed in the Courtly Graces. The two
Great Orders, the White Scarf and the Centurions of the Sable Star,
created here in this Mighty Land where Lions Roar and Legends live, are
each a Testament to the Foresight and Wisdom of a Wonderous and Most
Puissant Monarch.

>I am sorry that you have been mislead to believe that any award in
>Ansteorra is an award for someone not good enough to achieve something
>greater.  The Centurion award had a poor reputation in the beginning
but
>I believe that it was an unjust rumor and since has been proven untrue.
>The Centurion award is a Grant level fighting award, just as the Star
of
>Merit is a grant level service award and the Iris is a grant level A&S
>award, given as recognition to those that have reached a level of skill
>(deemed worthy by other Centurions and the Crown) in either melee or
>tournament combat.
>
>Sir Alrek Kanin 20th Centurion of the Sable Star

>The other nasty rumor was that it was created with the intent of=20
>being the equivalent of the WS, thereby pointing up the fact that=20
>the WS is not a peerage. I suppose if one really wants to know the=20
>intent one would have to ask the creator in person.=20
>
>However, whatever the intent, the Centurion has found it's place in=20
>our awards structure an is being used in a very constructive way. I=20
>suppose we are lucky, but most of our crowns have been good=20
>people who honestly try to do their best for their kingdom. In=20
>addition, I know some of the Centurions and they have worked hard=20
>to make their order something to take seriously. When you have a=20
>lot of Ansteorrans working to make something better, I guess it=20
>does not really matter how it started.
>
>Don Christian Dor=E9

Waes Thu Hael kinfolk...
Kief