ANST - Fighting Awards....

Brent & Susan Rachel hbrache at texas.net
Fri Feb 26 06:40:55 PST 1999

To the assertion:

> >Ok so why not make an AoA level award on >the same setup as the thistle.
> >Recognition for martial skill in any area. >Archery/heavy/light would just
> be
> >subcatagories under that just as people >get the thistle for diff. skills.

Reginlief countered:

> If we use the mentality of "arts have this award" and "service has this
> award", so fighters should have an equal award, then we also have to
> consider the fact that ONLY fighters can win Crown Tourney.  Using that
> same mentality that the awards have to be distributed equally between the
> areas, when can artisans win Crown with art?  Workers with service?
>
> I believe we need to constantly look at our award structure to see that it
> reflects the diversity of our Kingdom, however, it will never be completely
> equal.  That's a concept that just isn't compatible with the recreation of
> the Middle Ages.

For many many years the recognizing of squires (and later cadets) served to fill
the recognition void that existed between the sable falcon and Knighthood (QR
and WS, too).  Further, it fits the exact bill this thread has suggested:
recognition WITHOUT precedence.

Though all three types of peers may take associates, it is quite clear that
squires are by far the highest profile and to this day enjoy the greatest
perks.  This is probably the result of that very situation of that red belt
filling the void between the falcon and the white belt. (The same may be said of
red scarves).

SO, despite the informality of the recognition, there still is a well-used, and
well-recognized intermediate step in there.

Kazimir Petrovich Pomeshanov
Bjornsborg