ANST - Sable Falcon (long)

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Feb 26 09:05:57 PST 1999

> Your Majesty, what are *your* criteria for the Sable Falcon?  If I aspired
> to be worthy of the award from Your hand, what should I be doing?
>

> Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)
>
> ::GUNNORA::

Funny you should say this because I was about to as soon as I got some time.
Okay, here's my take on the Sable Falcon, Queen's Rapier, etc....

Back when I was a squire and there wasn't even a Sable Falcon I complained to
my Master, Duke Lloyd, that there were no lower level fighting awards, just
the Chivalry. I stated that there was nothing to reward all the hard work, pain,
and dedication of fighters who aren't ready for knighthood. His summation was
pretty direct, "Win a tournament."

That made me realize that, as Ly. Alys said, there are dozens of opportunities
every weekend for a fighter to see  his "place" on the ladder. His work is
always on display and is critiqued in the harshest manner. Those doing service
or arts needed the various awards because there is no real concrete evidence of
how well or badly they are doing as compared to others in their chosen fields.
The Thistle, Comet, Crane, Iris, and Star were necessary steps for the
encouragement of those performing services or arts for the Kingdom.

And, yes, the fighters always had the prospect of winning the "Big Prize"
whereas the artisan could never be Royal without fighting being involved.

Now as to what I look for in Falcons and Centurions goes a bit deeper. I agree
that one of the main requirements for a Falcon is "Heart". A fighter that
strives against odds. A fighter that is willing to go out there time and again
and always has a smile. Another thing is something that I was told that makes
a bit of sense is that a Falcon is often awarded when a fighter does something
far above what is expected, when they have been "touched by grace". A small
fighter without a lot of skill goes out and fights a huge Duke and somehow
wins the bout with a perfect blow can recieve a Falcon. The fighter who may
not be very good but has fought for years, trained others, helped armor new
people, and loves all things chivalric, will recieve a Falcon.

There are some people who feel that members of the Chivalry should not recieve
a Falcon. I am not one of these. But for a Knight to recieve a Falcon takes
something great on that Knight's part. If a member of my Chivalry goes out in
a War and holds off a horde of foes and shows all that a Knight of Ansteorra
is expected to be, he could recieve a Falcon. Or what about the members of
the Chivalry who have continued teaching, travelling, fighting, and being an
inspiration to all fighters long after recieving their belts? I know tht it
is expected to be "part of the job" but how many members of the Chivalry do
this?

I understand if you are confused by what "my" requirements are for a Falcon but
the basic rule about a Falcon is whatever the King wants to give it for. I will
give it when a fighter impresses me. I will also give it when other fighters
come to me and tell me of the great deeds of someone. The two Falcons I gave
at Southern War College were because others came forward and reccommended they
recieve their Falcons.

As for the Centurions. This is an interesting question because even the
Centurions do not have a clear picture as to what they are. There are those for
whom the Order is a step to the Chivalry and others who may never become
Chivalry. There are great tourney fighters as well as great melee fighter
included. What we have basically come down to is that it is a Grant Level
award for armored combat. The same as the Iris or Star. Centurions are also
considered "Sergeants". They are leaders in melees and in training. They
should consider the goals of knighthood and do their best to become knights
but it is neither a dead-end nor a stepping-stone. A new twist on the
Centurions is that they are now the Guard of the Prince as the cadets Guard
the Princess.

Hints to be considered for becomming a Centurion: Be seen on the tourney and
melee fields. Be a leader. Pursue knighthood. Be the most inspirational
chivalric fighter you can be. Talk to the Centurions and see what they feel
the Order is and should become.

And please let me use this time to once again talk about my "Spurs Challenge".
For those who haven't heard or have forgotten, in an effort to bring armored
fighting to the levels we all desire I have commissioned two pairs of spurs
to be created. One pair will be plated in silver and the other in real gold.
Throughout our reign I will be taking notes on fighters in Wars and tournaments.
When we step down I will review these notes and the two fighters who have most
presented skill, honor, chivalry, presentation and basically all that is great
in chivalric combat will recieve spurs. The silver spurs to a non-belt and
golden spurs to a member of the Chivalry. It is our hope that this will be
a reminder to all for what we are doing out there. There is no greater prize
than honor.

I don't know if I have properly answered Gunnora's question but I hope I have
at least shown my mind on the matters.

Yours,

Gunthar
Rex