ANST - Period ... tofu?

karl muller apophysis at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 26 15:04:36 PST 1999

>I doubt tofu would really be around in 13th c. Spain, though, although
>have no idea where the soybean grew in that time period.  But as a last
>side note (*apologies for my tangents!*), I read somewhere that an
>interesting way to explain your food preferences is merely to say that
>"I'm giving up meat for my penance" or somesuch.  ^_^
>
>-Crescentia the Non-Concise

tofu is chinese. marco polo was in china in about 1280 to 1295. (he was
in at the chinese court of fifteen years.) even so, the silk road
carried many items and foods from china to constanstinopole, to europe.
things like oranges, roses, spagetti. i seem to remember the peak of
business on the silk road accured during the han dynasty (around 600AD i
think). so tofu may have been introduced to spain by 1300. you may want
to check my dates just to be sure.
km