ANST - Period ... tofu?

Fri Feb 26 16:43:26 PST 1999

> 2) Pasta. Although a common myth that it was brought back from China
> by Marco Polo, there is plenty of proof that it was in use in Europe
> from well before his time. Possibly he brought back one type of pasta
> or the idea came from China in ancient times, but I doubt it.

IIRC, the quote from The Travels is "they use pasta much as we do."

> 3) Oranges. There is an orange from China (Mandarin Orange?) but it was
> unknown in Europe until very late in period. I believe the orange used
> in medieval Europe originally comes from the Middle East.

Seville oranges (Citrus aurantium) were first imported into Spain by the
Moors in the 9th or 10th Century.  These were bitter oranges.  Sweet oranges
(C. sinensis) were first imported to Europe by the Portuguese about 1529.

There was a trade in Sevilles by 1300 with Nice, France being a major export
center.  Oranges were among the first fruits imported into the New World.

> As a sidenote: The orange used in medieval Europe appears to have been
> much more sour and have a much thicker skin than what we commonly find
> today.
>
> Lord Stefan li Rous
> stefan at texas.net

Stefan, I've picked up some more information on majestry of pearl, which I
will key in and send to the Cook's list.

Bear