ANST - Period ... tofu?

Crescentia _ crescentia3 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 26 19:25:46 PST 1999

You know you're in the SCA when... you spend your Friday night
researching medieval soybeans... *grin*  Not quite what I planned to do,
but my mundane plans got cut short, and I found myself dangerously close
to the library and computer lab.

I've checked through a lot of books on the Silk Road, but haven't found
any mention of soybeans being traded.  I do know that Rome first
encountered Chinese silk via the Parthians at Carrhae in 53 BC, and
shortly afterwards, procured samples of their own.  By AD 14, Tiberius
banned men from wearing silk, and Pliny disapproved of it, etc.

The West sent things like: metals, wools, linen, ivory, coral, amber,
precious stones, asbestos, and glass to China via the Silk Road.  China
returned things such as: silks, furs, ceramics, iron, lacquer, cinnamon
bark, rhubarb, bronze objects [ie, belt buckles, weapons, mirrors].  I
think I saw somewhere that they also exported steel-making techniques?

But I think the important factor is that these were all precious
commodities.  They had to be, to justify the expense of being carried to
a market nine thousand miles away.  (Although, of course, not every
Chinese object went all the way to Europe, or vice versa)  And, of
course, there were middlemen involved at various stages, so it would be
a rare instance to have a Chinese man in Europe, or the other way
around.  But I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think the lowly
soybean would justify itself being traded.  While it was valuable in
China for its oil, for tofu, and for being used as cotton fertilizer, I
think that the Europeans wouldn't have a niche for it in their food
system. So while it's a possibility that yes, it would have been traded,
I think it would be unlikely for (a) the soybean to make it to Europe by
the 13th c.; and (b) for it to also be turned into tofu.

Oh, well.  The lab assistance are giving me evil looks to get out of
here.  ^_^

-Crescentia