ANST - Feast regulations?

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Fri Feb 26 20:44:55 PST 1999

There are no real 'rules' concerning putting a feast together.  I have seen
feasts range from purely modern food to completely documentable period feast
and much in between.  I can tell you what my rules of thumb are when I put
my feast menu together.

FIrst, I try to blend the feast into the theme of the event (if there is
one).  In other words, If the event has an Italian renaissance theme, i will
do foods from that time period.
 I also use documentable recipes when they are available.  They are not for
some time periods and cultures. Early Irish is one that does not have any
cook books in writing.  Most of the information on food is gleaned from
archeological journal articles on what foods were available but no
information on exactly how they were cooked... so.... perio-oid recipes
(these recipes may be ethnic recipes that are adapted to the what we know
was available).

As for serving feasts from mixed cultures... there is no historic data to
back this up.. BUT, some of the most interesting feasts have been done this
way. I have seen feasts based on Marco polo's journey into china ..... each
course from one of the places he visited... for example... an Italian
course, then a Chinese course and then a Persian course....and there have
been others.  I guess in a nut shell... the feast is up to the feastocrat.
only restrictions are the budget, time constraints and available facilities
and equipment.

in service...

Meadhbh
(who hopes she hasn't rambled too much)