ANST - Merchants at Coronation

Rikki Mitman esmitman at ghg.net
Wed Jan 6 05:00:15 PST 1999

Perhaps the lack of merchants has something to do with the fee. I used to
make a good portion of my living as an SCA merchant. Those were tough years
for me -- you have no guarantee of turnout, or whether people will be in a
buying mood if they do show up. When you add a merchant's fee to the site
fee, it make it that much more difficult for some merchants. They don't
make huge profits at any time, and they add a lot to the atmosphere, often
bringing goods that the average person wouldn't know how to find otherwise.

I fortunately don't have to make my living that way now (although I still
merchant my glass occasionally). But I remember the events where I just
barely broke even (or didn't even manage that). It's not my intention to
start an argument -- and certainly I mean no attack against you, my lady. I
simply would encourage event stewards to consider that merchants often have
a tough row to hoe. And most events could do quite well without charging
merchants an additional fee.

Hopping down off the soapbox,

Mistress Teleri ferch Pawl
Barony of the Stargate