ANST - health-related .... definitely OT: [Fwd) Artificial Sweeteners

Michael Tucker michaelt at mechatronics.com
Thu Jan 7 09:18:30 PST 1999

Greetings, all:

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:
> For those interested in avoiding aspartame, you may wish to check out
> sucralose, a non-nutrative form of sucrose made by replacing three
> oxygen-hydrogen groups with chlorine.  It is made by McNeil Specialty
> Products (owned by Johnson and Johnson) and is marketed under the brand name
> Splenda.  It was authorized for use in the US in April 1998.  Diet RC Cola
> has moved to it to avoid the problems with aspartame.
>
> Bear

Unfortunately, sucralose has its share of problems, too. There is a short,
to-the-point table of sweeteners to use or avoid (along with links to more
detailed explanations) at <http://www.holisticmed.com/sweet/>. Sucralose is on
the "naughty" list. I think it would be hard to come up with an industrial
chemical that didn't produce undesired side effects when ingested. Maybe that's
why the "nice" list consists mostly of natural foods, like honey, barley malt,
and fruit juices.

I think the bottom line is this: be knowledgable about what you put into your
body. You're only issued one, and replacement parts are expensive and hard to
come by.

I'm sorry to be spending so much bandwidth on our Ansteorra list talking about
artificial sweeteners. It's definitely WAY off topic, but seems like a
(possibly) crucial health concern that affects most (if not all) of us. I
promise not to further dwell on this topic on this list, and ask others to be
equally considerate. If I come up with any *hard scientific* evidence to support
or refute these health claims, I will pass them on. Otherwise, I will go back to
my lurking post. :-)

Yours in service,
Michael Silverhands, Baron of Stargate

--
Michael C. Tucker   | Java Developer
Software Engineer   | Sun Certified System Engineer