ANST - A touch more aspartame....

Gail P. Taylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Thu Jan 7 13:21:50 PST 1999

One thing that I forgot to note....

The journal articles that I referenced on aspartame were those published
over the last three years.  Out of 106 that I hunted through, I found a
few over 20 that were pertinent to the topic.  I generally begin a
search in the most recent years, as the newer research is built on the
foundation of prior studies, and can often serve to clarify them.

If Medline is searched from 1966-present, (all that is online) over 500
references to aspartame are found, more than I can hunt through and get
anything done at work.  A quick scan indicates that these, too, are a
mixed bag of studies, from reporting potential toxic effects to
analyzing the biophysics of taste.  From the quick look I took, I'll add
that aspartame seems to have the ability to make people with unipolar
depression, even more depressed.

The stuff makes me nervous...but I still am not convinced that it is
having any effects other than those related to loading the body with too
much phenylalanine, one of its two components.  Ah, well...someday, we
shall know..

Gail P. Taylor