ANST - Re: Heraldry - CD between flaunches and a bordure

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Mon Jan 18 09:52:20 PST 1999

I forgot to define a term.  In the SCA College of Arms Rules for
Submission, "CD" means "Clear Difference" (or some would say "Cadency
Difference").  The Rules list changes that were used in "cadency" in
period -- cadency refers to differencing the arms of a man from his
brother or other relatives, so you can see they're related but not
identical.  To avoid unjustified claims to relationship, our rules
generally require that a proposed coat of arms have two CDs (as listed
in the rules) from all previously-registered armory.  (I should note
that the "two CDs" rule has exceptions -- but I don't want to go into
the X.2 "simple armory" rule, X.1 "addition of primary charge", et
cetera -- I can hear the eyes glazing over already!)

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;
    if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work account.