ANST - Eggs...

Mike C. Baker kihe at ticnet.com
Wed Jan 20 05:30:38 PST 1999

> what exactly is a Pyzanki egg ????
> 'wolf

Ukrainian egg painting, one of the primary source
influences on Faberge work according to some.
While most often appearing around Easter, you
may also find them for sale year-round in the
bookstore / shop associated with many Orthodox
churches.

The egg is "blown" carefully and "painted" using dye-laden
wax applied with odd-looking miniature funnels (yeah, there
is an official name for them, it just hasn't stuck in my mind).

One critical step in the process is selection of eggs
with NO blemishes or cracks -- I am told that out of one
gross (144) grocery-store eggs, there _may_ be as many
as a dozen suitable ovoid canvases...

Yasha (apprentice to Jalali, lives in Steppes) is not only
a marvelous baker, but he learned _this_ art from his
Old-World grandmother -- and he learned it damn well.
His personal goblet is a pysanky-decorated ostrich egg.

Mike C. Baker
SCA: Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra (Steppes, Ansteorra)
"Other": Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard)
My opinions are my own -- who else would want them?
e-mail: kihe at ticnet.com OR kihe at rocketmail.com