ANST - GW update/Lady Rosina

Keith Hood keith_dell at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 21 12:30:59 PST 1999

Lady Rosina:

Sorry, but I really needed to weigh in at this point.  With all due
respect, you have completely missed the point about the reservation
controversy.

>I've sat back and listened to everyone crying over the fact that they
>don't have cabin space and they cashed the check.
>
>I think the cabins need to go to the royality and to those who NEED
>it..like for medical reasons...When you go to Pennsic you don't have
>cabins so why should you have a cabin at Gulf.

A.  What happens at Pennsic is irrelevant in this matter; they're
entirely different things.

B.  Yes, people who need a cabin for medical reasons should get it.
That's *not* the point here.  Nobody said a word about medical
conditions.  None of the stated reasons (as far as I know) given by the
Gulf War managers said a word about medical needs.

C.  The people in charge of renting the cabins BROKE THEIR WORD.  They
advertised to the entire world that cabins would go on a strictly first
come-first served basis.  They stated in so many words that the ONLY
exception to that policy would be in the case of reservations received
before a certain date.  Now they have violated their publicly stated
policy, and hurt people in the bargain.

They changed their criteria for making cabin reservations without
notifying people who had already paid for cabin space.  Even after
making that change, they still advertise the first-come, first-served
policy.  So at best they are guilty of negligence and/or dereliction of
duty, and are possibly guilty of false advertising.  The senders were
led to believe that an agreement existed concerning the use of that
cabin space.  The event organizers then violated that implied agreement
by giving away something that had already been paid for.  They broke an
agreement.  And the people who sent their money now do not have a place
to stay.  There is not one hotel anywhere that could legally get away
with accepting money for room reservations and then telling the
reservers they have to sleep in the parking lot.  Because of this,
people now do not know if they can afford to go because they're not sure
they can get that money back.  Plans months in the making are now
totally useless.  THAT is what it's about.

    Tomonaga

--
A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.

        -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
               By Robert E. Howard, who should be
                 the patron saint of Ansteorra